Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Don't Knock it till You've Tried it!

I've been wanting to try this depression era recipe I've seen on Pinterest for a while now- called TOMATO SOUP CAKE- but keep putting it off because, quite frankly, it sounds utterly disgusting! Well tonight I finally made it. Maybe i had a change of heart because I was running on fumes after only 3 hours sleep last night... Who knows, but there I stood in the kitchen mixing up a batter that closely resembled that stuff you see after giving birth.. Yeah, I said that. I really didn't have much hope for it even as I poured it into the baking pan, but alas, while in that oven for exactly 35 minutes, it transformed into pure deliciousness! I used a recipe I found on Pinterest that happened to have a super sweet caramel frosting, but there are others that use a cream cheese frosting. I also added a handful (or two) of chopped walnuts- because that's just how we roll here! 

Ingredients

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 lightly beaten egg
1 can tomato soup
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ginger (ground) 

Directions

Mix the butter and sugar. Then add the rest. The directions said to sift the flour, baking soda and salt- so of course that didn't happen! Not sure I even own a sifter! Throw that hot mess into your baking dish and pop it in the oven- 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes. Stick a butter knife in it to make sure it comes out clean. 

To make the caramel glaze- grab the following:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

Throw it all in a pot. Heat until it's boiling. Then boil for one minute. Make sure you're whisking it the whole time. You'll have to keep moving it off the heat intermittently because that shit was starting to boil over. Anyway after you've babied it for a minute. Take it completely off the burner and keep whisking for 5-10 minutes till it thickens a bit. I went middle of the road and whisked for about 7 minutes. I was bored. Then pour it over the cake- YUM!!!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment