Search This Blog

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Depression Era Crack... I mean CAKE ~ pure deliciousness!!!!

Okay so I am always trying to make new recipes but keeping the cost LOW! And when they taste good, then that's a WIN for me! I started looking up "depression era" recipes on google and pinterest and found some pretty cool recipes. One of my favorites is this Depression Era Cake recipe- which should really be called Depression Era Crack, it's that good. When I make this cake it is gone in a day! I even made one and took it to the town historical society annual picnic and it was a huge hit. So, give this a try and let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

1 cup packed brown sugar
1.5 cups water
1/3 cup oil
2 cups raisins
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg

2 cups flour
pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking SODA
2 tsp water

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat your oven to 350. Lightly spray 9X9 pain with some cooking spray. In a saucepan (a pot) combine the brown sugar, water, oil, raisins and spices (everything from the first section of the ingredients!). Bring this to a boil and stir frequently for about 3 minutes. Not sure why it's three minutes. I did it for 2 just to see what would happen and it turned out just fine!

So let this cool a bit... (just turn the burner off)

Mix the baking SODA with the little bit of water and put that in the mixture... let the kids watch because that shit will foam and it's super cool!

Then dump in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Original recipe said to mix them all together in a bowl first... but of course I didn't do that. Just dump that stuff right in the pot.

Dump this whole mixture into your greased baking pain and bake at 350 for 34-55 minutes. This is SO delicious!!!! Enjoy!

(picture is NOT mine... it's from Pinterest from JoandSue.blogspot.ca.... because I kept forgetting to take a picture of mine before us heifers dug into it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment