Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Homemade Gnocchi.. Made from a RUTABAGA?!?!

Ok so I bought a rutabaga the other day, not knowing what it was, what it tastes like or how to cook it. But it was cheap and I'm in "cheap mode"! So Pinterest to the rescue! Most recipes were for mashed or baked rutabaga. Eh. That was ok I guess. But one was for rutabaga gnocchi- ok, this was different! So yesterday I took the plunge and hoped for the best! Of course, you know by now that I didn't follow the recipe exactly... Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
1 rutabaga
2-3 cups flour
A pinch of salt

Peel and dice rutabaga. This was easier than I thought it would be. 
Boil that sucker for 30-60 minutes until you can stick a fork in easily. 
Mash it! 
Let it cool completely in the fridge. 

Now- mix in about 2 cups of flour and kneed it in the bowl. Make sure it's not too "sticky" then take a chunk and using your hands, roll it into a snake on a cutting board. Then use a butter knife and cut that snake into small pieces. (Like an inch each). Set aside onto a floured or sprayed sheet pan. I used non stick cooking spray. When you're done you can put that in the fridge till you're going to cook it. 

To cook it- boil a pot of water and drop them in one at a time so they don't stick together. Original recipe said about 20 at a time. I did that. The first "batch", but I sure didn't want to stand there all night so after I fished them out I just dumped the rest in all at once. Boil for about 4-6 minutes. They seemed to float to the top when they were done which was super nice of them! Fish them out with a big spoon with holes in it. Done! 

So here's the thing- they tasted just like TURNIP. Not my fave. So you have to make some kind of sauce to kill that taste, unless you're a turnip fan, then you're good. So I also fried up some turkey sausage and mushrooms to add to my gnocchi bowl. Then sprinkled some fresh cut up cilantro and parsley. (Would probably use basil next time, but I was too lazy to be chopping more herbs). Then- here's the special sauce- in a bowl mix some lemon juice (2 small lemons) and about 3-4 Tbspns of syrup... Yeah, pancake syrup... Trust me. It just makes a small amount but when you pour that on the gnocchi, it completely changes that flavor!! 

So let me know if you make this and how it goes over in your house! And let me know if you made any changes to the recipe and how it worked!!!

The pre-cooked gnocchi ready to go!

And the finished meal below!

No comments:

Post a Comment