Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Homemade Rice-A-Roni

Years ago I was on a frugal kick and bought the book The Tightwad Gazette. One of my favorite recipes in that book was for a homemade rice-a-roni mixture. I hadn't thought about that much in the past several years since I wasn't the one doing the cooking; until I was searching for a side dish for tonight's meal. We really didn't want plain rice and the only box mixes I had left were too spicy. So I grabbed the kiddos and whipped up our own!


INGREDIENTS 
4 cups rice
2 cups angel hair pasta broken into small pieces. 
1/2 cup parsley 
2 Tbspn garlic
2 Tbsn thyme

Mix all ingredients in a large container. 

To cook: add 2 cups water, 1 Tbsn butter, 2 chicken flavor bullion cubes and 1 cup of mix to pot and simmer for 20 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment